Estimates show that 55,670 (uterine cervix of 12,200 and uterine corpus of 43,470) women will be diagnosed with some type of uterine cancer in 2010. In fact, Uterine Corpus is the fourth leading diagnosis for women and represents #8 on the Top 10 list of estimated cancer deaths.
Here are a few fast facts about uterine cancer:
- Causes & Risk Factors: Obesity, Ovarian Tumors and Cysts, HPV, Tamoxifen, Estrogen, pregnancy, family history and more
- Treatment: For uterine corpus cancers, surgery is the primary treatment with radiation therapy, hormonal therapy, and chemotherapy as complimentary and alternative therapies. For uterine cervix, cryotherapy, electrocoagulation, laser ablation, or local surgery
- Survival: The 5-year survival rate is 83% although detection at early stages improves the 5-year survival to 96%
- Deaths: 12,160 deaths (uterine cervix of 12,200 and uterine corpus of 43,470) are expected to occur in 2010
- Leading Charity: The Gynecologic Cancer Foundation (GCF)
- Awareness Ribbon: Peach
- Awareness Month: September
- More Stats: Start with American Cancer Society or their Facts & Figures
Find more posts from CancerHQ on Cancer Awareness & Stats, Cancer Awareness by Month and Cancer Awareness Ribbons for support!